Who we are
Our mission is to empower families and foster the healthy development of children through a holistic approach that combines education, social support, and community engagement. We believe that every child deserves a strong foundation for a bright future and that every family should have access to the resources they need to thrive.
Dr. Lucinda Grapinthin, PhD
Meet Dr. Grapenthin, a licensed psychologist with a wealth of experience in the field. She holds a doctoral degree in psychology, specializing in clinical child psychology, earned at Indiana State University. Her internship at the Hawthorn Center in Northville, MI, provided her with extensive experience in an inpatient/outpatient facility for children facing chronic mental health issues.
With nearly two decades of dedicated service in Georgia, Dr. Grapenthin has been an integral part of our community. Prior to her tenure in Georgia, she made a positive impact in Northern California and the Chicago area. Her roles as a school psychologist in the Daly City Schools and the Chicago suburbs have honed her expertise in child psychology and educational support.
Dr. Grapenthin’s professional journey reflects her commitment to the well-being of children and families, and she is ready to bring her expertise to help you and your loved ones.
Say hello to Currier, the charming Golden Retriever who’s here to bring smiles to both the clinic and the classroom alongside Dr. Grapenthin. With his furry paws and wagging tail, Currier is the perfect furry friend to assist in therapy sessions and create a warm, comforting atmosphere.
In the clinical setting, he’s a true four-legged therapist, enhancing interventions and helping clients feel safe and relaxed. At the University, Currier is not just a dog; he’s an ambassador for the incredible ways Service Dogs can improve the lives of those facing physical and mental health challenges. Plus, in the Play Therapy room, he’s everyone’s favorite playmate, spreading joy and making each interaction a little more special.
We are committed to the idea that early childhood is a critical time for learning and development. We emphasize the importance of creating a safe, inclusive, and stimulating environment where children can explore, discover, and grow at their own pace. Our philosophy is guided by the following principles:
- Child-Centered Approach: We recognize that each child is unique, and we tailor our programs to meet their individual needs and interests. Our experienced and caring educators are dedicated to helping each child reach their full potential.
- Family Engagement: We believe in the power of strong family connections and encourage open communication between parents, caregivers, and our team. We offer resources and support to help families navigate the challenges and joys of parenthood.
- Inclusivity: We welcome families from diverse backgrounds, respecting cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic differences. Our center is a place where every child and family is valued and supported.
- Educational Excellence: Our programs are designed to promote cognitive, social, emotional, and physical development. We use evidence-based practices and a curriculum that encourages a love for learning.
- Community Involvement: We actively engage with the local community, collaborating with organizations and individuals to provide additional resources and opportunities for families.
“Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.”
— Neil Postman
The Family and Child Development Center is dedicated to upholding the highest standards of excellence. We maintain a qualified and passionate team of educators, adhere to best practices in early childhood education, and continually seek ways to improve and enhance our programs.